Settings for Nikon D5000

Q: I wanted to know of any good settings for my Nikon D5000? I shoot mostly at nightclubs (individuals and crowd shots). I do have a Speedlight that I use w/ a Fong over it. Thank you for your time =)


A: I'm not Nikon shooter so I'm not all that familiar with Nikon DSLRs, but the camera and flash settings I mentioned on my site pretty much applies to all DSLRs regardless of the brand.

Shoot in manual mode, ISO 800, using an aperture between f/3.2 and f/5.6, and various shutter speeds between 1/2 - 1/40 sec as a starting point. Play around with the aperture and shutter speed settings till you get the results that you like.

The flash white balance would give you the most accurate colors and it should lessen the amount of color correction in post processing. RAW or JPEG - it's up to you. I personally prefer shooting JPEG.

You can also change some of the in camera processing.
Sharpness: +1
Contrast: +1
Saturation: +1
Color Tone: 0

I would also suggest NOT using the Fong diffuser in nightclub photography because it's big, bulky, expensive, and the quality of light from it isn't all that impressive in really dark venues.

My suggestion would be to use a Sto-Fen Omnibounce and shoot with the flash off camera. Try it out and you'll see a big difference!