Strobe Effect

Q: How did you manage to get the strobe effect on image 4 on your portfolio? Did you use a filter? If so, which one?


Nightclub Photographer

A: Because of the nightclub environment, I shoot using a UV filter as I mentioned in the lens section of my nightclub photography tips website.

As far as how I got the strobe effect on image 4, it wasn't through a special filter. I basically had a slow shutter speed and I moved the camera from left to right. The ceiling had these light stick things with different colors (see the picture below) which is how I got the strobe effect.

Nightclub Photographer

My exposure settings for image 4 are listed below.

Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Settings: f4, 1/2 second, ISO 800
White Balance: Flash
Lens: Canon 17-40mm f/4L shot at 17mm focal length
Camera: Canon Digital Rebel
Flash: Canon 420EX with a Sto-Fen Omnibounce