Off Camera Flash

Q: I am a little confused about something you wrote concerning the flash. You said you hold it in your left hand when it's off camera. Please explain that a little more. Is it off camera but supported by a bracket?


A: I use a Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash and a Canon STE2 Speedlite Transmitter when doing nightclub photography. I hold the camera with my right hand and hold the flash unit in my left hand. That is, I don't use a bracket. By the way, the flash is on slave mode.

The Canon STE2 Speedlite Transmitter is a wireless flash controller for the Canon 420EX. It goes on the camera body's hotshoe where the external flash unit would normally go. This means that I'm free to hold or put my flash anywhere as long as the transmitter and the flash are within range of each other and not obstructed by anything that would prevent them from communicating with each other. I find that this technique is more versatile than using a bracket.