Help

Q:Hi there, I am an amateur photographer in Australia doing mostly studio photo-shoots for clients, however, I have been recently asked to do event photography for a 21st birthday. It is going to be very low light. I have a speedlight, a 55mm f1.8 prime lens, and a 17-70m f2.8 zoom lens. I'm not very familiar with this type of photography and know I will need to use my external flash but am not sure how to set it up in regards to the settings. I am just wondering if you could help me or have any tips!


A: Check out the following page for insights on the camera and flash settings: Nightclub Photography Tips: Camera and Flash Settings

My suggestion would be to use the 17-70mm f/2.8 lens and bounce the flash on the ceiling or walls (try out different angles).

You should position yourself so that the light is behind the subject. Use a slow shutter speed (around 1/4 to 1/2 sec) and set your flash to 2nd or rear curtain sync. This will allow you to catch any colorful backgrounds. You should also try moving your camera around so that there's movement in the light.